OTC Japans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OTC Japans

Anything regarding OTC: Japanese!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Enter a club!

Go down 
+5
nananana
Jordtomas
ケーリ
ロッテ
Sjaakie
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Sjaakie

Sjaakie

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 3:29 pm

Hey everyone,

Ok, I have not officially joined a club yet, and have yet to take participation in a club activity. But I can tell you this already, whether you're a silent person or an extravert person: join a club. If you don't want to read my words and just see the energy and friendliness that clubs can put out, scroll down for the video. As for my personal experience, read below the dotted line.

Some people would say "Obvious dude!!" while others will say "Meh, I'll see.". Don't see, do. Sure you also need to study while on your exchange, but a big part of your study does not happen during class hours - and I'm not talking just about selfstudy at home with your nose in the books the whole time. Which is of course also necessary, and the amount of time of course differs per person. But there are a lot of things you can not learn from books. No matter if you spend 24/7 of your time in books or doing other things by yourself like reading manga or watching anime or drama, some things you will simply not learn.

If you really just want to study, then you can even join a club like a translating club. You will get studying done while still learning things you won't get from your book. But if you are looking for a bit more different kind of fun, like your favorite sport or even new interest, there are a ton. You can perform a lot of the worldy sports in just about every university where you may go. For example at Gaidai you can come across things like: Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Badminton, Boxing, Snowboarding, Archery and several other things. But also sports that are more related to the Japanese culture, for example: Kyudo, Aikido, Kendo etc. However, that's not all. Maybe you also are interested in a different language or culture, for example Chinese or French, there are even clubs surrounding things like that. Or maybe you are a music lover and you go in to one of the several different kind of music clubs that exist. Don't have an instrument? No problem, the university has them. You like more than one club and the meetings of the clubs don't overlap and you think you can handle it while still studying? Then join 2! No problem!

Club activities. Sure, you can have the basic things for certain clubs. Like for sports you have to train a few times a week, and for cultural clubs you will meet one or more times a week to discuss about things to do or to practice or maybe to do other activities. Next to the club related activities, you will also possibly just hang out with the people from the club and just have a very very very good practice in making your Japanese sound more natural and more your own and less like a book.

------

Today was the day where the clubs were all concentrated on one area, trying to reel in as much people as possible. It was incredible. When we got there we saw a whole welcoming committee, people from different clubs with there flyers waiting for new people to arrive and getting them to their club. They were shouting and jumping and... well.... it felt like you were some kind of rock- or popstar..... there is no other option than to play along with the crowd... Yes, I went wild! Yep, it was awesome.
But ok, so we first get greeted of course by a few people we know, asking if we could come to their club table. But of course very rudely refused any and every invitation. (Ok... that's a lie) But, before going there I did check the clubs out that I had prior interest to: 探検/exploration. Basically what they do is go into mountains, have a good time, hold a BBQ, night and normal hiking, do some biking and rafting. I wanted to get some excersize, but I really am not one of sports, but doing it like this and being able to see things from Japan that you would normally not get to see? I was sold.

Next I went along with the friend to their club, they have like 70 people in their club and it's called ESS (English Studying Society - or something? Smile). And yes, you don't go to Japan to speak English, but a lot of the time they just have fun movie evenings or something and they often just speak in Japanese, so you still would get a lot of practice and would be able to get to know a lot of people and just have a lot of fun. Then I also wanted to check out Archery. Maybe it was possible to do both 探検 and Archery (didn't want to do Kyudo because there would probably be too much discipline... even though their bows are sooooooo much cooler than in Archery). But... before I went there, I saw something a speck in the corner of my eye. It was... a violin. I thought, no... half a year? Just half a year for a violin? Probably a no go. But, I went to talk with them just the same, after talking for a short while I decided that I would not have to go to the Archery anymore. I found something that I just had to do. Because, in the Netherlands it either costs a lot to rent one, or it costs a WHOLE lot to buy one. In Japan, you borrow one from the university. The chance had fallen upon me.

So here I am with 2 clubs: 探検 and Ensemble string instruments. Next week I will have my first day for Ensemble practice (with a teacher) on Tuesday, my second on Thursday, and apparently I will be able to enter the clubhouse at any time to practice whenever I feel like it. And on Friday I will be going to the meeting of the 探検 club.

Now for the video. Sadly there is no video footage of our first entrance available, but I went back for round 2!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4puE_7Ot9gs
Back to top Go down
ロッテ

ロッテ

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Oh me and Sharre also went to that meeting, it was so cool! Completely insane, one big chaos with people shouting everywhere and running around and trying to drag you to their little table, but it was so much fun.

I eventually talked with the people from the clubs from Kyudo, Aikido, German and Kadou (in a different order, but ok, whatever), and with lots of random people I came across.

We also went to check out the kyudo (弓道) club at a type of example-practice with just a few members, and got to shoot as well! We`re going to an actual practice tomorrow afternoon to see what those are like. I`m tempted to join just because archery is awesome and wearing a hakama while walking with a big bow is even more awesome =D

I`ll also be looking at the kadou (華道) club next week, and might check out aikido, but not sure about that last one yet.

But seriously everyone, if you have the chance, go and check it out!
Back to top Go down
ケーリ

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 3:22 pm

SJAAK!!!! String Ensemble?? Seriously? Could you pleeeaaassseee tell me more about that? 'Cause I was worrying about my violin lessons when I go to Japan. I don't want to stop playing again, so maybe this is something I can do....
How does it work?
Back to top Go down
Jordtomas
Admin
Jordtomas

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 3:41 pm

I am really interested in the exploration club,
you definitely need to tell me more about that Sjaak, after you had some activities! Very Happy
It seems like a really adventurous club! Haha I like that!
Let us know! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
nananana

nananana

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptySat Apr 10, 2010 3:51 pm

wow sjaak, it's like you're trying to sell things to us. ever considered a job in PR?

it all sounds very exciting though, good luck with your club activities Very Happy
Back to top Go down
KrazeeLadee

KrazeeLadee

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: String ensemble!? :DDDD   Enter a club! EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 am

Omg I'm gonna enter that String Ensemble Club!!! I've been actively playing the violin for over 12 years and I'd love to keep practicing once I'm in Japan! Very Happy Wheeee already looking forward to it!!! X3

x Anke =3
Back to top Go down
Sjaakie

Sjaakie

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 6:09 am

Haven't had any club activities yet. First ensemble club time will be today from 17.00~21.00, so a nice 4 hours. So not all too certain yet as to how it will go down. Second is on Thursday, same time. As for exploration, it is on Friday around noon a meeting and we will probably get to hear about some activities. So I'll keep you posted~
Back to top Go down
ウェワー

ウェワー

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptyTue Apr 13, 2010 5:25 pm

Cool video, that exploration thing really sounds cool too.
Let us know what it's like when you've been there. Wink
Back to top Go down
Perenbaas-B
Admin
Perenbaas-B

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:45 pm

ロッテ wrote:
archery is awesome and wearing a hakama while walking with a big bow is even more awesome =D

that sounds so insanely awesome, I'd better be able to join a club like that when I go to Japan!
Back to top Go down
https://otcjapans.forumotion.com
Perenbaas-B
Admin
Perenbaas-B

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 12:53 pm

wow Sjaak, I just checked the vid..it really looks great Very Happy now I want to go even moar!
Back to top Go down
https://otcjapans.forumotion.com
ロッテ

ロッテ

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptyWed Apr 14, 2010 5:13 pm

Perenbaas-B wrote:
ロッテ wrote:
archery is awesome and wearing a hakama while walking with a big bow is even more awesome =D

that sounds so insanely awesome, I'd better be able to join a club like that when I go to Japan!

I think Sharre is really joining it. I might really join Aikido though, which is also in hakama, but is more of a regular-type of martial arts, but all kinds of awesome nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
勉造

勉造

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 12:25 am

Lol seen that video on facebook already. Pretty funny. Did some guys have surfboards towards the end of the video?
Back to top Go down
Sjaakie

Sjaakie

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 3:02 pm

Surfboard or wakeboard or something, yeah.

Ok, so getting back at the ensemble club. They have violins, viola's and cello's. But you might still would like to bring your own. They practice from what I have seen together and solo, as they also a little bit prepare for their performance in September. But their club activities start at 17.00, at which they will stay in the beginning for a little bit and maybe practice there a bit till 17.30~18.00. Because by that time more people will have arrived, then they continue to a different building where you get a huge space to practice in, so you can easily take a corner if you'd like to practice a bit more quietly. They have several practice books and music sheets available for all 3 instruments. In the storage location they also have a piano - probably tuned. Everyone's very friendly and willing to teach others and play together with others.
They practice on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 17.00-21.00, and when the time hits 21.00, they all clean up to go back. About 20 members total of which ~25% is male. The storage room is possibly for longer time open, or it is possible to get a copy from the key to practice there when you feel like it. The storage is right next to College Residence B (where you will most likely be placed in if you go to Kyoto next year) and the practicing building is just a few minutes walking from there.

As for exploration, next week we will discuss ideas etc, because they want to know for sure first who will come. So far very nice people. I noticed in the ensemble club that quite a lot of people still use masu/desu with me, while in the exploration club they tend to talk normal much quicker, apparently. But last year they apparently climb Mt. Fuji with the club - 10 hour climb (apparently), and went to Kyushu by (local) train - 8 hour trip. But those were special things, and am not well known yet with regular activities.
Back to top Go down
Sjaakie

Sjaakie

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptySun May 09, 2010 3:17 am

Kayleigh, update on the string ensemble. Last time at the club time I received a key to enter the club room freely, only 1 key is allowed, but we just keep silent ^.~
Back to top Go down
KrazeeLadee

KrazeeLadee

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: <333   Enter a club! EmptySun May 09, 2010 11:36 pm

I sooooooooo want to join that club!! <333
Making any progress, Sjaak? Razz

(= 3 =)/ Anke

Epic face --> Laughing ......
Back to top Go down
Sjaakie

Sjaakie

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptyFri May 14, 2010 8:27 am

Anke, Kayleigh, last night I did violin again since there weren't enough viola's. Razz But they are going to buy an extra or 2 viola's for the club, so should have enough again. But I might stick with the violin for a bit.

Also, since yesterday they have a teacher. Not sure if she will come every time, but this is the first year they have a teacher and might stay for quite some time if lucky. I was about the first person she came to check up on and immediatly got taught several things to do correctly ^^. Very nice lady as far as I have seen.

And they perform once I think with the club during the time of the exchange. And they have a training camp in August, begin-mid august, for like 3-4 days at some place. Might be at a temple like place, or some other kind of place. It's to train for a big performance, I believe, held in September, but of course, without doing that you could still go to the camp.
Back to top Go down
KrazeeLadee

KrazeeLadee

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptyFri May 14, 2010 11:09 pm

Omg do want do want do want do want!!!!!!! X3

So what's the repertoire in that club? Do they also have more advanced pieces of music? 'Cause I love challenges! <3 I've bought Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" a few weeks ago, which is about the biggest challenge I've ever had (lol) and will probably take me a few years to master. Kind of an extreme example, though... Hahaha.

cat <--- kitteh or bunneh???
Back to top Go down
Sjaakie

Sjaakie

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptySat May 15, 2010 4:19 am

Well, I'm not sure exactly what they have, but for my eyes, some of the sempais sure have some advanced pieces that they are practicing. Other than that, they have this small bookcase with a lot in it. I know they have beginner books in them, but I bet they also have some advanced pieces in there for those that want to do those. And many have their owns sheets as well.
Back to top Go down
ケーリ

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! EmptySun Jun 27, 2010 11:21 pm

Lol...I kinda lost track of this forum and when I finally look again....there's spam on violins..YAY!

Thanks for explaining how it works int he strings club, Sjaak!!! I'm going to join that club for sure! I hope I can get some advise there Very Happy I still only know the basic things, so that would be awesome!!
Are you already playing some stuff on your own??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Enter a club! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Enter a club!   Enter a club! Empty

Back to top Go down

Enter a club!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OTC Japans :: School :: Studying in Japan-
Jump to: